23 May 2007

Gratitude


I started a new practice in March that has been really helpful for me. I have a gratitude journal. It is a different practice from my regular journal, which gets used mostly when I am feeling more negative - sad, angry, frustrated. Instead, I try to write in my gratitude journal every day. I write something positive. My daily practice is generally very simple. One phrase or sentence.

My gratitude journal was initially started because I was feeling very down - and I knew that I actually have a lot to be very thankful for, if I just thought about it. I wonder if after some time (it's only been three months now) I'll be able to find some themes that will help guide me towards "what I really, really want."

Some samples of my journal...
I am grateful for conversation.
I am grateful that my sister is happy.
I am grateful for my friends. They are wonderful and I could not be doing anything without them right now.
I am grateful for good food.
I am grateful that I feel independent! I took my first solo bus ride all the way across the city!
I am grateful for solitude.
I am grateful for the colors of the sunset. And the view that I have of my living room of the sunset. And walking to the beach to see the sunset into the water.
I am grateful for biking with friends.
I am grateful for the ocean. It is a calming force on a difficult day.
I am grateful for the smell of clean laundry.
I am grateful for my ability to speak in front of a group of people.
I am grateful for the renewal and growth of springtime.
I am grateful that Ifeel like I belong.
I am grateful for my physical endurance. I got lost today and a 30 minute run turned into 2h30min.
I am grateful for my Mom.
I am grateful for really, really good sleep.
I am grateful for the kindness of strangers.
I am grateful for my own ballsy-ness.
I am grateful for music and dancing.
I am grateful for the beautiful flowers on my walk to the coffee shop.

No comments: