12 June 2007

SF Living...

While I'm sure it will get old really soon, I enjoy taking the bus too and from work. I even have a bus pass. I always thought that I would live in "the city" after college... and become a master of mass transit. Of course, back in 2000, "the city" would have meant Chicago... and my mass transit would have likely been the El... and it's quite possible that by now I would have had my fill of city life and moved out to the 'burbs.

However... I took a little detour and lived in Silicon Valley for six years. Definitely not a city.

Here I am, seven years later. Finally a city kid. Well, not really a kid. But, now I live in San Francisco and I take the bus to work. It's pretty sweet.

Job's just getting started, so no real update there.

My finger and wrist are much better. Not 100%, but better. My wrist bruise has gotten a lot of *gasps* from people. I'm kind of used to it looking so, well, bruised, but I guess it's pretty intense.

Oh, and I'm looking for an apartment. And it sucks ass. It's a good thing I've been relatively happy lately. All of the rejection would be really hard to take if one was actually feeling emotionally fragile. Seriously.

Two rejections:
"I just wanted you to know that I did offer the studio to someone yesterday and they have accepted. I did want you to know that you made the 'very short-list' as I think you'd have made a wonderful tenant also. I don't think you'll have any trouble finding a place. I wish you the best of luck and thank you for coming by.
It was a pleasure to meet you."

"I am sorry to advise that I have offered the studio to someone else who intends to take it. If this falls through for any reasons I will be back to you. I enjoyed meeting you and I wish I had more than one place. Thank you for your interest."

Yeah... well, you don't have two places to rent. And what is this very short list bs? So I was your #2 person, huh? No trouble finding a place... yeah, right.

*sigh*

Deep breath. It'll be okay.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I actually pride myself on my mad mass tranzit skillz in NYC. I have managed to master the subway in multiple boroughs, buses and the Long Island Rail Road, not to mention the fine art of taxi-taking. It's seriously a good thing to know. Come visit, and I will be your bad ass tour guide.

Kris said...

Those are some really polite rejections. They seemed to go out of their way to break it to you nicely. Despite not getting the apartments, you must have made a good impression.

Sorry to argue, but I must point out that "the city" IS Chicago, no matter how many cool people move away to SF. And the El rocks. (Yeah, it smells bad sometimes, and track work can slow things down...but still: El + busses + bikes + Metra + free tourist trolleys = happy non-drivingness.