09 September 2007

Ratatouille, by non-chef Kirby

Exercise update...
Wednesday - 40 minute run at lunch
Thursday - pilates
Friday - nothing. Did manage to drink a lot of vodka though. That's exercise... for my liver.
Saturday - ran with LRM. Far. Like 11.5 miles. Lots of hills and stairs. Wouldn't have done it alone, that's for sure.
Sunday - nothing. Lots of school work.

Despite the mountain of school work, I *did* make a pretty awesome dinner for myself. A sort of improv ratatouille... tasty and required little work outside of cutting:
1. saute purple onion (1) & garlic (3 cloves) in olive oil in a big, deep pan
2. add cubed eggplant (1) and sliced zucchini (3)
3. add tomatoes - here's where it got interesting. I added the rest of a container of cherry tomatoes, two big tomatoes cut into cubes and a box of this tomato sauce "starter" from Trader Joe's
4. add some water
5. add some spices - salt, pepper, Cayenne pepper for some heat, sage, rosemary and oregano. If I had bay leaves, I would have added one or two, but I don't have any.

I ate the ratatouille over some polenta slices - Trader Joe's has these tubes of polenta. Just slice, heat & serve. The rest of it I portioned out into containers for lunch and put it over some brown rice. Hopefully this will help with my need for efficiency in the morning when I'm heading out to work AND it's pretty darn healthy too.


3 comments:

Kris said...

Sounds good, I'll try it!

Instant polenta is super easy too. Boil water, stir in polenta, wait 5 minutes.

Kris said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Mmm I can't even boil water but this sounds good and from what I can see you are healthy and running, yay! Keep up the good work and enjoy some other womens dateless stories at http://www.jennycurl.com