12 November 2007

Insight from Best of Craigslist

Once again, Craigslist is awesome. If I end up with one more CL related post, it's going to have to get its own label. Until then, I <3 Craigslist.

Best of Craigslist is usually filled with such interesting nonsense and a good read when you're just winding down the day or looking for a distraction, assuming you're not at work where you're going to get flagged for looking at a potentially pornographic website.

Anyway, today I found this little essay about "Dating in my 40s."
A gentleman from Denver lays out for us his rules about dating. #1 really got me thinking, but I'm not sure I agree with all that he has to say. Sure would be nice for me if he was right (as much as one can be about this sort of thing). Your thoughts?

1. I never seriously date a woman who terminated her last relationship because she wasn't "happy". Happiness is an emotional response to external stimuli. To break the vow of "til' death do us part" over an emotional state that may or may not be another person's fault, is shallow and shows a lack of emotional maturity. It tells me that woman is too self absorbed to be a reliable partner in the future.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok wait...are we talking about leaving a marriage because you aren't happy or breaking up with someone for said reason? Two totally different thing, IMO. Breaking vows of marriage because you "aren't happy" is a sorry excuse. However, I imagine when this conversation comes up, the potential woman assumes said man doesn't want a 2-hour rendition of the "irreconcilable differences". So a mere "not happy" could translate into many other things...

I do believe that happiness should come from all aspects of your life... so if a woman puts all of her happiness eggs in one basket, ie a relationship, that might be a red flag.

It's a pretty blanket statement... I think that's what I'm trying to say. The end :)