03 July 2008

Knee pain

Bike? Have knee pain? Easy remedy from the folks at RBR:
Knee Rx. Here's a simple remedy that's been known to quickly solve a developing knee problem: If the pain is in the front of the knee, raise the saddle. If it's behind the knee, lower the saddle. Don't go overboard. Just 2-3 millimeters can be enough to restore pain-free pedaling.

If only diagnosing knee issues due to running was so simple.
I just started marathon training this week and I'm really trying to remember to stretch out my IT Band before and after I run. The IT Band is the long group of fibers runs along the outside part of your leg from your hip, down to the bottom of your knee. I've encountered knee pain in the past due to my IT Band being tight AND patella-femoral syndrome. P-F is when your outer quad muscles are stronger than your inner quad muscles (looking at my legs in college, this was highly un-shocking) and your knee cap gets pulled out of the knee joint, towards the stronger quad muscles (yes, it hurts like a b!tch). Biking helps with P-F syndrome because the pedaling motion forces your inner quad muscles to work. Mine are getting better, but I'm never going to have the inner quad definition of this guy... ... but I can keep trying. Too bad I like to eat!

Pic taken from the Williams College Cycling page.

No comments: