Black Friday 2007 was a "Buy Nothing Day" for me. No shopping as a means of quietly expressing my frustration with the overly consumeristic overtones of the holiday season. I had the same intentions for Black Friday 2008. Except that...
* I drove back from East Bay to San Francisco, resulting in paying $4 to cross the Bay Bridge
* I bought two albums on iTunes^
Yep. Purchased the right to be on the bridge and music. Even though really, I think the day is ridiculous. My mom, who works at a department store, had to be at work at 3AM. If nothing else, I should buy nothing on behalf of the retail employees who have to be at work at insane hours the day after Thanksgiving... and even more so for the WalMart worker who was killed during the stampede to get into a store in NY.
^Music purchased in preparation for "Not So Silent Night 2008" - Death Cab for Cutie and Franz Ferdinand. So far, good stuff (even Death Cab, MW).
1 comment:
Sigh. Perhaps I'll need to bring my earplugs and a good book next week, since it seems like all my concert compadres will want to stay for Death Cab. I just cannot abide by the voice...
Post a Comment