Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. I think that the order of that little phrase is really important. I'd also add Repurpose.
Step 1 - reduce your waste and consumption in general. Reduce packaging (buy in bulk, look for alternatives), reduce your purchases (do you really need another xyz?). Stop taking plastic silverware and plastic bags from stores and restaurants. This cuts down on the actual "stuff" that's out there.
Step 2 - reuse. You know how you wash your clothes and reuse them? Kind of the same thing here. Could you put your lunch in a washable container, rather than a single-use plastic bag? Think about your purchases and buy products that are reusable.
Step 2.5 - re-purpose. What can you do with an old shoebox? Recycle it, yes... or use it to hold craft supplies, or receipts or something. You're reducing (by not buying something new) and reusing! Think about using food bags - like the ones for bread or frozen vegetables - instead of a new Ziploc to hold your snacks. (Or as poop bags for dogs and cats!)
Step 3 - when you can't reduce or reuse, recycle. Glass, plastic, metals, paper. Take the tops off of bottles and jars - it makes it easier for sorting at the recycling center.
Great article on recycling a plastic water bottle vs getting (preferably, BPA free!) reusable water bottle here.
1 comment:
I love it! It bothers me when people are like, oh it's ok if I buy this, because I can recycle it. It still uses so much energy to make it and to ship it to China to be recycled! Reducing and reusing are so important!
Post a Comment