Personally? Uh, yeah. Exercise isn't making me thin. I ride my bike to work every day and I exercise 5-7 days a week. Some of that is pretty long, or intense - track workouts on Tuesdays and long bike rides on the weekend come to mind first. And my weight? It's even climbing a little, now that I'm in my 30s. I do LOOK fit (and am, damnit), but I do not look, or feel, thin.
Now I'm trying to actually look thinner* - and it's challenging! I have a huge appetite. Mostly for healthy foods, but I like my desserts and drinks. As pointed out in the article,
"After we exercise, we often crave sugary calories like those in muffins or in "sports" drinks like Gatorade. A standard 20-oz. bottle of Gatorade contains 130 calories. If you're hot and thirsty after a 20-minute run in summer heat, it's easy to guzzle that bottle in 20 seconds, in which case the caloric expenditure and the caloric intake are probably a wash. From a weight-loss perspective, you would have been better off sitting on the sofa knitting.Good think I'm taking up knitting. Now I just need to get a sofa ;)
Many people assume that weight is mostly a matter of willpower — that we can learn both to exercise and to avoid muffins and Gatorade. A few of us can, but evolution did not build us to do this for very long. In 2000 the journal Psychological Bulletin published a paper by psychologists Mark Muraven and Roy Baumeister in which they observed that self-control is like a muscle: it weakens each day after you use it. If you force yourself to jog for an hour, your self-regulatory capacity is proportionately enfeebled. Rather than lunching on a salad, you'll be more likely to opt for pizza. "
Seriously. While I'm not opting for pizza again and again, as the author implies, I will eat something that's probably calorically equivalent - though whole grains, veggies, good proteins, etc.
...............
Anyway, this article is well-timed for me, as it is a good reminder that it really is all about calories IN! I've been loosely tracking my eating habits and am moving towards a more calculated approach, using the iPhone app "Lose it!". I'll be essentially counting calories - which means measuring portions (ugh). However, I'm not doing it for non-starchy fruits and veggies. Just because I'm lazy. It'd be nice to have this stuff in there for the nutritional info (vitamins, minerals, etc), but I don't really care about the 10 calories in a cup of lettuce.
Thoughts? Advice? Experiences to share?
*I want to be thinner NOW while I'm in my early 30s because I don't think that it'll get any easier as I get older. And I would like to keep the (genetically hopeless cause) cellulite at bay. And I really want to be a faster triathlete. And I want to wear skinny jeans. And I want to test the "Looking good is the best revenge" theory at an event in October. And I mean thinner like athlete-thin, not model-thin.
5 comments:
Amen! I can speak as a ultra-runner-on-hiatus that back in the hayday (sp?) I could be running 80-90 hours a week and not lose weight for all the crap I ate. I wouldn't gain weight either. Now that I'm not running as far or as long, I've slowly been putting on some lbs.
To get the best results that you want from your exercise program, you need to learn to exercise effectively. Most people go into an exercise program to lose weight and the results of your efforts will show up much faster if you are working out properly. To burn fat your body needs an excess of oxygen, which you achieve when you get your heart rate up to between 65% and 75% of your Maximum Heart Rate.
momordica for a healthy life
visit brownfat.com for weight loss tips.
What I have found with many of my clients is you can out eat you training program. The first step is to make sure the foods you are eating are as close to natural as possible. Stop ther processed cancer causing foods.
Post a Comment