20 February 2008

How Green is Your Laundry?

Check out this short quiz from The Sierra Club - you may find some energy-saving tips that will save you money and help the environment next time you're doing your laundry!

------------------------------------------

Other laundry advice...

1. Don't dry, use cold water for your:
a. Non-cotton workout clothes. Those specialized wicking fabrics are best dried on a drying rack or hanger.
b. Favorite jeans. Seriously, avoid shrinkage and help your jeans last longer. (Especially important if, like me, it takes a lot of $$$ to make your ass look hawt.)
c. Bras and fancy underwear

2. New dark colored cottony item of clothing? Pour a little white vinegar in the wash when you first launder it. The vinegar helps set the color. (thanks Mom!)

3. Sprinkle some baking soda in the washer with your smelly workout clothes. You know how baking soda helps de-stink-ify your refridgerator? Same concept.

4. You don't need to dry clean ALL your knits that say "Dry Clean Only." Really. A lot of them will be just fine if you do a gentle, cold water wash and then lay flat to dry. I've found this is the case with a lot of wool and cashmere.

5. Oxyclean works wonders on a lot of stains. It's a good product to just have around for cleaning in general. (thanks Mom!)

Now if someone could just tell me how to maintain a constant supply of quarters for the machines in my apartment building... I'm jealous of all of you that have your own w/d!

3 comments:

Kris said...

You told me about the vinegar trick years ago, and I still use it. (Thanks, Kirby's Mom!)

audgepodge said...

I don't have my own w/d either. Luckily, our admin happens to be the official company petty cash keeper so I get to bother her for rolls of quarters.

I might have to try that baking soda trick for some of my workout clothes...

Anonymous said...

i'm a "clean, green machine" woohoo! ;-)