I'm a big fan of oatmeal. A while back, Audrey and Amanda sent me a link to Kath Eats Real Food, because she's also a huge oatmeal fan and, like me, mixes in all sorts of tasty ingredients like nut butters, bananas, fruit, etc (she doesn't top hers with plain yogurt like I do though - yum!).
Green oats = oatmeal made GREEN (for once, I mean the color, not environmentally) by the addition of spinach. Weird, huh? I've been adding some frozen spinach in to my smoothies occasionally and really don't taste it*, but I know I'm adding some iron to my frozen fruit, which is great, since iron is absorbed better with vitamin C.
Anyway, Kath recently made Green Oats, which seems to keep popping up in the foodie blogosphere (ok, I exaggerate - it's not exactly sweeping the nation, but it's there).
I didn't follow Polly's recipe exactly, but did end up with similarly colored oatmeal this morning.
Here's what I did:
1 c water
1 really ripe banana
Chop up banana, put in water, boil
Add 0.5 c oats & cook
Here's where I deviated...
Toss in a handful and a half of frozen spinach
Cook until spinach is defrosted
THEN get out your immersion blender and blend it all up
I topped mine with some plain yogurt - don't mix it in, because then you don't taste it. Kind of let it act as a "frosting" and get a little yogurt with your oats on your spoon. I think that the whole banana (generally I add only half to my oats) totally covered up any spinach taste. I liked the blended texture as a change, but it didn't seem as filling. (Or maybe it was just a hungry kind of morning.)
*Cheese, on the other hand, is something that I DON'T add to foods, like sandwiches, if I'm not going to taste it. Kath agrees with me on this one.
No comments:
Post a Comment