The scene: An outdoor, backyard birthday party. There's day drinking, flippy cup, cheap beer, catered snacks and good wine. Mid 20s-mid 30s crowd. There are plenty of couples, but also some single folks hanging out. Also, a lot of smokers (yuck).
I eventually find myself talking music with two cuties. Great. One was controlling the music via a sweet iPhone app that connected to his computer's iTunes up in his apartment, one was one of the few people who did not need to take a smoke break during flippy cup (and also was sporting a cute cowboy hat). Flirting ensues and I'm a happy girl. Music boy agrees to download a Janelle Monae song (you should listen and download too - I recommend the entire album, actually) that I found earlier that day and patted our collective backs for bringing the party up and dancing.
Anyway, I found out through the hostess that Music boy (who lives in the same building as the hostess) has a girlfriend - and he eventually went back to his place. Cowboy hat, though, she said was single. Sweet.
We eventually all went back inside and there was a joint that was about to get passed around. I grabbed Cowboy hat's arm and took him to the hallway so I could "talk" to him before he had his puff. Turns out he's "got a thing with his roommate." Awesome. I pretty much wanted to run and hide. (turns out that there was either an identity mix-up with the hostess and this is a relatively new "thing")
I stuck around for a bit and walked everyone over to a bar, then hopped on my bike and rode home. Waking up at 5:30 is a good excuse to leave a party by 10pm and I needed to sober up a little in preparation for a two mile swim race the next morning.
Couple of days later, I'm proud of myself for (with a nice buzz-induced sense of confidence) at least trying... but really, we need some sort of tagging system for this stuff. I mean, I would have kept chatting with both of them, I just wouldn't have tried to make out with either of them.
Or, as this woman suggests, a Five Minute Rule.
2 comments:
HAHA, that 5 minute rule post made me laugh. I could see how that would be handy but let's say someone "unattractive" and possibly "doucebaggy" did that to me I would probably be totally embarrassed and/or offended, LOL!
P.S. Jen and Lori are all about meeting boys so you guys could combine resources. I know I should be too but I'm not as motivated as they are. :P
Hell yeah you should be proud of yourself for trying! Doesn't hurt anything to try... as long as it doesn't hurt your pride!
Post a Comment