31 August 2007

Flip-flops = chemical burn?


My mom would say, "This is why I didn't let you wear cheap shoes as a child."
http://www.lamanaphotography.com/walmart2.htm

Pictures are quite graphic, so if you're easily grossed out, don't bother with the link.
Basic premise is that $3.00 flip-flops from Wal-Mart gave this woman massive flip-flop shaped chemical burns. The burns are taking a long time to heal and have caused her serious pain. She's not allergic to latex or rubber, so it's more likely that there's some toxic chemical (aside from the petro-chemicals probably in the shoe bottom...) in the "thong" part of the sandal. She tried to get Wal-Mart involved and has been shot down.



3 comments:

audgepodge said...

That was so completely disgusting. OK - I am sold. No more cheap shoes for me!!!

Amanda said...

i liked reading the comments from this link - a lot of people think it's an allergic reaction. (I went to snopes.com to find this link)

http://consumerist.com/consumer/dangerous-defects/woman-receives-severe-chemical-burns-from-flip-flops-walmart-tells-her-to-complain-to-manufacturer-280572.php

Lindsay said...

eek. that's really gross.