18 January 2010

One of these things is not like the others

One of these things is far less important than the others, but perplexing to me. So here you go... 
1. I know ya'll are smrt and kind and generous. So I don't need to ask you to donate to Haiti's earthquake relief efforts. There are about a million and a half ways to give, including the nifty text-to-donate method. I really hope that the cell phone providers aren't tacking on a fee to handle that transaction... If you haven't maxed out your donating using that method, a friend of mine who has done relief work in other disasters has recommended donating through Doctors Without Borders or Haiti are Partners In Health. 
2. Happy Martin Luther King, Jr Day! What an incredible leader. Again, since ya'll are McSmartersons, I don't have to add anything. So, here's a fun fact, taken from one of my favorite blogs (Seriously, this woman would be too perfect, except that she tends to end her posts with silly sexual innuendos. The fact that she's a funny writer and adds tons of cute pictures helps out too.) - Did you know that Correta Scott King and Dexter King were both vegans? That whole non-violence and compassion thing? Yeah, they brought it all the way to the kitchen. Wow. (In other vegan news, shout out to CP for her first Vegan Thursday!)
3. I like green bell peppers now. Raw green bell peppers. WTF? How did this happen?

1 comment:

Sue said...

I went and visited the blog and found a glaring error on the first post. I don't like strident people who can't get their facts right.

90% of broiler chickens are so big from antibiotic treatments that they have trouble walking

Here's a link explaining ascites, which is generally the reason some commercial broiler chicks can't walk:
http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/pou3546

I picked the least-technical one.

It has everything to do with overbreeding birds to select for quick growth and feed:muscle ratios in favor of overall health - the birds' respiratory systems can't cope with the quickly growing size of the animal and they have difficulty moving (they're also extremely confined, in a commercial operation, so there's no opportunity to go anywhere either)- in extreme cases, it leads to edema, the stage at which the chickens' body begins to accumulate fluid (exactly like end-stage cancer patients and abdominal swelling).

Now, I am in no way supportive of industrial farming practices. But if you're going to condemn, do it for the right reasons and understand what you're talking about. Don't just spit out a paragraph from your bible. (obviously none of this is directed at kirby, but at the peas and carrots lady). I have a bug up my butt about vegans today (not sure why, I just woke up). I really dislike the emphasis on animal cruelty (which is valid, of course. I'm choosing to address it in a different way) while completely ignoring the complications inherent in the increased use of petrochemicals as a result (how many times have I had a vegan lecture me about meat while wearing a diamond ring and pleather shoes? a few).

Gor, i'm touchy this morning, aren't I? I think I'll go have some tea and think happy thoughts. It just drives me batty when people parrot information as the gospel truth without bothering to research it. Yes, broiler chickens are generally unhealthy, overbred, and mistreated. But antibiotics are not why they can't walk. They can't walk because they have insufficient respiratory systems.

(picking nits since 1978)