13 July 2007

How walkable is your house?

One of my new favorite websites.
http://www.walkscore.com/

What's your score?

My place got an 88/100, which is on the high end of "Very Walkable." I agree.

90 - 100 = Walkers' Paradise: In neighborhoods with scores over 90, few people own cars and walking is the norm.
70 - 90 = Very Walkable: Neighborhoods with scores over 70 are very walkable and it's easy to get by without owning a car.
50 - 70 = Some Walkable Locations: Neighborhoods with scores over 50 have some walkable locations, but residents use their cars frequently.
25 - 50 = Not Walkable: Although it is possible to walk to some locations, driving is the norm.
0 - 25 = Driving Only: Residents only walk from their house to their car.


I found the link to walkscore on Triple Pundit - www.triplepundit.com. Also definitely worth a good browse.

8 comments:

audgepodge said...

Fun website! My LG apt scored a 72. My old SC apt scored a 57 :P AND my home back in OH scored a 23 - heehee. I love how it shows what's nearby!

Jim said...

We got an 88..Hell Yeah

Kris said...

Hmm - my place gets a 51. But it's giving credit for some places which I really can't walk to (major freeway interchange in the way) and missing some great places which ARE walkable. I guess it evens itself out.

Our old Urbana apt. gets a 72. And it includes MUCH better public transportation. I knew I liked that place!

Kris said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amanda said...

We get a 63 here in Austin - but yeah - it's listing places that don't exist and forgetting others too.

Ah well -we're not in total BFE I guess. :)

Anonymous said...

We got a 0. How sad it that?

Also a primary reason we'll be moving in the next couple of years...

Unknown said...

I believe that walk score is cool, but nowadays more and more people prefer to drive cars. Homes are often located in an area where some establishments are easier to get to by car than on foot. I've recently found a type of service on drivescore which is called Drive Score. It shows a map of what establishments are in your neighborhood and calculates a Drive Score based on the number of places within a convenient driving distance. It doesn’t mean that drive score is better than walk score – they are equal and both necessary in the modern world!

Anonymous said...

I've visited Drive score and now I find it really convinient tool. I've also found on Fizber.com a service Climate Watch which allows homebuyers to check what the climate is like in another town or city all year round before they move there. That's cool!