25 September 2009

End of five paleo-ish days.

So, my five Paleo-esque diet days are done.



I am looking forward to:
  • Oatmeal topped with yogurt. I miss this flavor and texture combination.
  • Grains mixed in with my veggies.
  • Reducing my reliance on nuts - seriously! I don't think this was a good move, but sometimes I felt like I was at a loss for what to eat that would help me feel satisfied. Straight up protein alone doesn't do it, nor do veggies or fruits. Nut butters and nuts do help me feel energized and satisfied, but are way too calorically dense for me. I'm trying to reduce my calories-in, not increase! Maybe some of this is "getting used to" the diet changes, but I don't really want to do strict-ish Paleo. It was just an experiment.
What I learned:
  • Cooking chicken breasts is easy. Remove from freezer, marinate over night, bake. 
  • I do not like either of the rice protein powders I've recently purchased. 
  • Other than yogurt, occasional cottage cheese and whole grains (quinoa, oats, amaranth, barley) -> this wasn't *that* different from how I normally eat... save the additional proteins in place of some of my beloved grains.
    • Ok, except that I do have chocolate/baked goods/sweets sometimes and I didn't have those for five days (with the exception of chocolate almond/soy milk and a little unsweetened cocoa powder w/squirt of raw agave syrup on a mashed up banana last night - I was craving sweet & creamy sooo badly).
Next week is post- bachelorette party. I think that my experiment will be something around a solid reduction of calories. My pants are tight, and have been tight, and I am not down with this. So, experiment may take the form of actually plating my dinner and then being done. Or eliminating snacking between breakfast and lunch. Or an all-liquid day. Maybe actually posting my "nutrition log" to my ninja training club online forum. I'm already putting up my workout log... probably about time I did the nutrition one too. Let me know if you're interested in seeing either of those.

So... ideas for my next week's nutrition experiment?

No comments: