23 September 2009

What a crock of...

I want a crock pot to make some winter stews, particularly as my CSA is moving towards kale and chard season and I get more into actually cooking meat (ok, so far it's only been chicken) in my own kitchen.

Recommendations? Do I need one that's programmable? Two quarts seems small - I love having leftovers for lunch... but is four quarts a LOT? I am cooking for just one person (who sometimes eats like 1.5 - 2).

1 comment:

Diane said...

I upgraded my crockpot this last winter and I did get the bigger size (probably 4qt) and it is programmable. I like the bigger size because it allows me to throw in a complete pot roast for stew without worrying about it overflowing, or making a really delicious double batch of "Taco Stew" (I'll give you the recipe... very yummy, easy, lots of beans, and good with ground beef, ground turkey, or ground "boca" fake beef). I haven't used the programmable settings yet (timer), but I definitely have used the "warm" setting (and admit to have left my stew on "warm" for upwards of 3 days, eating whenever I'm hungry!