04 August 2008

Bike snark

From the San Francisco Bike Coalition listserv:

Question:
Hey Everyone, Yesterday, I needed to use for my first time the bike rack on a MUNI* bus. I had no problems; but it seemed like a very unsecure contraption. Have there been many problems with these things? If a bike bounced off of there it would be the end of that bike. The bus driver said it has happened but he didn't say how often it happens. Should I be worried when using it? Is there anything we can do when using these MUNI bike racks to make our bikes more secure?


My two favorite responses:
1. I have used these many times and I don't see how the bike could bounce off. You are supposed to move the spring-loaded arm over the top of the front tire, all the way up against the brake (hipsters: the brake** is supposed to have been attached to the fork). A much more serious problem is that people steal the bikes...You can expect the operator to do fuck-all about it if someone is doing this. You should stand in the front of the bus where you can keep an eye on your bike.

2. If worried about theft - lock your wheel to the frame before boarding. Stops someone from a quick getaway. If you don't have a lock use your helmet. If you don't have a helmet you are already good at assessing relative risks and make a rational decision.


Explanations for my non-SF readers...
*MUNI is the SF bus system
**hipsters have a tendency to ride fixed gear (fixies) bikes that don't have brakes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG! Too funny. Love the part about hipsters and their lack of breaks. Gotta love the snark. :)