I was in Sonoma County for a wedding on August 9. When I tried to start my beloved Fido on Sunday, August 10, it wouldn't start. At all. Fido was towed to a mechanic in Healdsburg and I managed to get a ride back to San Francisco. Luckily, it was a fairly inexpensive repair and Fido was soon ready to go.
I decided the best way to go retrieve my car was by bike.
Of course.
Here are the numbers...
Miles
40 Point when I wondered if this was such a good idea
45 Point when I re-convinced myself that yes, this was a good idea - coincided with eating half of PB&J
68.1 From my house to repair shop by car
60 Point when I realized that I'd be doing closer to 90 miles
65 Point when I decided this was a really stupid idea, coincided with uptake in butt soreness
70 I *thought* were in the linked bike route. Bad conversion from km to mi.
75 Point when I realized that I'd be riding 105 miles
78 Point when I wanted to start whining, but had no one to whine to
79 Point when I decided to remember this whole no-whining thing for next long group ride
80 I *thought* I would be riding from my house to pick up my car
87 Point when I started whining to myself
90 Point when I decided to pick up the pace and pretend to be a racer
95 Mile that was too bumpy to be a racer
96 Mile that was too bumpy to be a racer
97 Point where I resumed racer-like riding
98.7 From the Golden Gate Bridge to Healdsburg, by bike
105.53 I rode
Hours:Minutes:Seconds
0:05:00 Spent inhaling post-ride burrito
7:12:53 Spent on the bike
8:31:04 Spent from door to bike shop
11:15:11 Spent total, door to door
Speed
14.6 Average speed, mph - bike computer
18 Average speed I kind of felt like I was doing (minus long up/down hill, starts & stops)
35.5 Max speed, mph - bike computer
Energy
0 Chocolate chip cookies consumed
85% Of a Clif bar eaten - strangely, the only one I ate on the entire trip
1 PB&J eaten
2 Times I stopped to eat blackberries off bushes at the side of the road
3 Chocolate chip cookies desired
5 Times I wish I had stopped to eat blackberries off the side of the road
5 "Servings" of Gu/Clif Shot/Clif Bloks consumed
6 Approx gallons of gas saved by biking (assume 25 mi/gal, if friend had driven me up and then had to drive back home)
10 Score of awesomeness of blackberries on a scale of 1-10
1,200 Calories in burrito and Reese's Pieces eaten after ride (approx)
1,410 Calories consumed while on the bike
4,100 Calories expended on the bike (according to calorie estimators)
Animals
0 Times cows actually moo'd back at me when I moo'd to them
1 Roadkill that was a skunk
1 Beautiful white horse standing near a fence that I wish I had stopped to take a picture of
2 Live deer seen crossing the road
3 Number of deer seen, total
3 "Dairies of the year" passed - 1992, 1996 and 2003
5 Cow varieties (Really light tan, tan, brown, black & white spotted, black)
6 Varieties of live animals spotted while on road (Cow, Horse, Cat, Sheep, Goat, Deer, Bird)
10 Approximate number of roadkills
30 Times I moo'd to cows, hoping for a response
Weather
10% Of time spent in drizzle or mist
70% Of time spent in overcast conditions
100% Happy that I did not get sunburned
Biking
0 Spare tubes needed on the trip
0 Articles of unused clothing I packed
1 Time an angry motorist yelled at me for being in the road
2 Times I had to turn around because I went the wrong way
2 Spare tubes I had with me
2 Times I dropped down into my granny gear
3 Times I cursed the wind
5 Hills I cursed
5 Times I should have dropped down into my granny gear, at least according to how my knees feel today
6 Times I had to stop to consult map, even though I had directions written down
90 Estimated number of miles that were pure joy
5 comments:
What an adventure!!! I'm glad to hear you are safe and sound. How is Fido?
HC, man. Definitely HC.
Well done, Biker Babe! You are an inspiration to us all.
PS: Remind me to teach you the Moo game. We'll play on our next country ride.
:-) J
I would have started whining at mile 20 probably... ;)
Holy toledo, lady! You're amazing!
You did it! I'm glad you made it to Fido in one piece.
Post a Comment