25 August 2008

Stupid effing six pounds

Aiight fair readers. No witty stories here. Just putting this one out there because I'm annoyed. :p

I've noticed that quite a few women use their blogs as a way of keeping honest with their exercise (I tried this last fall), weight and health goals. I'm doing just fine on the exercise front. Training for the Nike Women's Marathon and up to a solid 18 miles. Biking a few times a week and I try to swim once a week. Of course, this will all be a little more difficult to manage should I find a job, but for now, I'm really active.

Friends are amazed then when I say that I'm 5+ pounds heavier than my normal weight. WTF?!? I'm killing 1000+ calories on my long Saturday runs and on my longer bike rides. How on earth could I GAIN weight? Simple. I eat too much. Even too many healthy calories = too many calories. I've heard that it's common to gain with marathon training because your body just always seems to be hungry. Well, I'm going to try not to listen to it as much anymore and get back down to my normal, comfortable weight, which is between 117-120 lbs. Losing a few pounds should help me run faster too!

So, I'm going to start a semi-daily weight post. If I decide to follow some sort of diet, I'll post that too, but I'm going to try to just be really conscious of eating less for now, particularly when I'm at home. My old Tanita scale tells me body fat too, which is highly dependent on hydration. I'll post the BF% too, even though there's part of me that hopes that my actual BF% is lower than that!

Oh, and I'm all of 5'3".

Monday 8/25 (morning): 126lbs, 25% BF


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kelly - it's probably just the extra muscle you're carrying, don't you think?

-Gary

kirby said...

eh... i tried that theory for a while. my pants don't agree, unfortunately.

i *did* successfully say no to popcorn AND chocolate cake tonight though. thank goodness today was vegan monday!

Anonymous said...

Kerbs, I can attest that keeping track of everything you eat really helps you moderate it. It's a total pain in the ass but it works.

I know this because I am 48 lbs lighter than I was last year. :-) But I still have about 25 to go before I'm at my truly happy place.

I'm on a beginning running program but if the day ever comes when I can run 18 miles, well, I don't know what I'll do, but I'm sure it will be fabulous.