06 October 2009

Be a superstar recycler

So I have a profile up on OkCupid.com/. We shall see how it goes. I know at least one of you is excited for the stories :)

In my profile, I was asked to describe some things I'm good at. (Grammar, obviously not one of them... ending sentences with prepositions and all.) Making oatmeal with creative toppings, navigating my way around SF by bike, making friends laugh...a few other things. AND telling people what's compostable, recyclable and trash (Not so much with my eco-fabulous friends, but I do this at least three times a week at work!).

While I can't help all of you sort your trash because we live far away, I found a list of great tips that hold true with municipal recycling in general - check it.

Top 5 Recycling Faux Pas - and How to Avoid Them

  1. Unscrew It! - Yes, plastic bottles are recyclable, but in many communities the bottle caps are not. If that's the case for you, then please unscrew the lid before you throw it in the trash. There's nothing more frustrating than sorting through the recycling, and having to remove each bottle cap one at a time. (see Ed Begley's tips on sorting out plastic recycling codes to find out what is and isn't recyclable.)
  2. Look Inside - For some reason, every household I've lived in has had somebody that insists on trying to recycle all envelopes - even when those envelopes are mostly lined with bubble wrap. Besides the fact that a plastic/paper multilayered envelope like that will almost certainly be unrecyclable, it's also pretty valuable. Hold on to those things and use them again. (Remember - always look to reuse before you recycle!)
  3. Clean It! - I have heard arguments that rinsing out cans negates the energy saved in recycling them, but I'm pretty sure that's nonsense (especially for households like mine where hot water is solar heated). One thing is for certain--sorting through sticky piles of gunky recycling is no fun. So please at least empty containers carefully before you discard them.
  4. Not All Glass is Created Equal - In most communities, just because it's made of glass, doesn't mean it's recyclable. Usually glass jars and bottles are recyclable - but drinking glasses, broken windows, vases, light bulbs and the like are not. At least not in regular household trash. Check out Earth911 to find out what is and is not recyclable in your area.
  5. Compostable Doesn't Necessarily Compost - Sorry, just because it says it's compostable, doesn't mean you can throw it in your backyard heap. Most PLA plastics require high-temperature commercial composting to break down. If that's not available, you may as well throw it in the trash.

No comments: