28 October 2009

Pets and sustainable living

A recent study has estimated that owning a dog is, from a global warming standpoint, equivalent to owning and using two SUVs, and a cat is about the same as a VW.

I'm not going to argue with the numbers - it all depends on where you draw your box when doing a life cycle analysis, and carbon footprint calculations can be argued all day long. However, what about the improved health of pet owners over non-pet owners? Surely a healthier human is less of an environmental tax than a sick person. What about those pets that are shelter, or rescue animals, compared to those that come from breeders?

I do have a bit of guilt around my (newish to me, as of April 09, but adopted at age 11) cat. I don't feel guilt about her food, for some reason, even though she's a total carnivore and her food isn't organic. Her litter is Swheat Scoop, which is made from non-food grade wheat, grown domestically (yay!). However, every time I clean out her litter box, I am adding a plastic bag (reused!) of feces to the landfill, which sucks. And I'm not springing for biodegradable litter bags. Nope.

3 comments:

Sue said...

dude. I'm pretty sure you can flush Swheat.

Jim said...

My Dog is worth more than 2 SUVs...I don't care...

kirby said...

Can't flush cat feces in California because some of it eventually flushes out into the ocean and can bring diseases to our sea lions and seals. Sucks.

And yeah, Jim - that's kind of my point too. People are going to have pets, regardless of the increased carbon footprint. I think we can all work to be smarter about how we care for our animal friends, but the increased happiness is something that can't be accounted for by numbers.