10 October 2009

Fido and Spork

I'm finally doing it - Fido, my dear, beloved, but pain in the ass to park in my 'hood, and infrequently used car, is on Craigslist. Woo-hoo!

Also, things I'm doing.... telling you about my online dating experiences.

First date tomorrow evening. I do not have any witty nicknames for him yet, so for now, we'll call him Spork, because that's where we're going to dinner. He was kind enough to avoid the whole "who's paying/dutch/let me/no I have it" thing out of the equation and suggest a place (I recommended the neighborhood, since I thought it'd be easy for both of us to get to) and then say email that dinner is his treat. That's nice. I mean, nice that he's taking me out, but also nice that he's pre-emptively avoiding that check-dance at the end of dinner.

Concerns about Spork...
1. We haven't talked on the phone
2. His profile lists him as AT my min height requirement. Last time I did online dating, I found that quite a few guys would fib on the height thing, probably because of asshats like me with a stupid requirement. (My height + 6 inches, to allow for heels of any height. I know that's a silly, stereotypical thing, but I know that I prefer guys that are taller than me.)
3. Dinner? On a first date? Kind of a commitment, should there be an inital WTF?!? am I doing here kind of experience. I've historically gone with the first date beer/wine/coffee. Oh well.

Good things...
1. He does motocross racing. Cool, and great that he has a hobby that he loves.
2. Looks cute in his pictures
3. Has a hotdog dog!
4. Been emailing together for the past week
5. Kind/polite/sensitive to awkwardness (?) as evidenced by the dinner conversation
6. Emails have been relatively typo free, with good grammar (I'm a sucktastic writer, I know, but truly awful writing does not make the guy seem very smart, which is important to me.)
7. Some funny stuff in his profile
8. He asked me out, which I know is difficult to initiate

EDIT, to answer Amanda's questions...
Snark will happen sometime. I mean, next time I get a really good one who emails me, I'll let you know. In general, I've got to be positive about a guy before I go out with him, if I've agreed to see him. You dig? Otherwise, I wouldn't waste his time - or mine!

So, Spork contacted me initially. I believe this was after I gave him 4 or 5 stars or something on this "QuickMatch" thing - if both people give each other 4 or 5 stars, OkCupid lets you know and then you can contact each other, knowing that you both thought that the other was at least not a total, um, dork, to use your words, Amanda.

And I openly admit that the first date dinner is not usual for me! But... sometimes rules get bent.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Very Interesting! I need more snark in your online dating experiences though...he's sounding way too nice. And yes, WTF with dinner? You don't do that with internet dating on the first date!! What the hell am I saying...I agreed to go to a baseball game for my first date with Dan. I will shut up.

Also - to add to your internet dating, you must say if he contacted your or if you contacted him. Very important!! I contacted Dan...all the guys that contacted me were total dorks.

Amanda said...

Yay! I can't wait to hear how the date goes now!!